The Cornell Law School Fall Recruiting Program features thousands of interviews conducted in several different locations across the country, and all in a relatively short period of time. In order for the Program to run efficiently, and in a manner that generates the best return for students and employers alike, it is critical for all students to act responsibly and in good faith. This is particularly true in the area of scheduling and canceling interviews.
August Job Fair and OCIs:
- Other than as specified below, students are not permitted to cancel interviews scheduled for the August Job Fair or any of our OCI events. Thus, when bidding, you should not bid on any employer with whom you would not be interested in meeting.
- If a true emergency arises, students may be permitted to cancel interviews on a case by case basis. Obviously, it is impossible to precisely define all the situations which might be considered “true emergencies.” However, please note that careless scheduling will not be considered an emergency. For example, if a student schedules a callback with a firm in Washington, DC on a day when that student has bid for and received on-campus interviews, the student will not be excused from those on-campus interviews, and the callback will need to be re-scheduled.
- Students seeking permission to cancel interviews must do so by e-mailing Donna Dingy. Cancellation requests will not be accepted by phone or in person. Your e-mail must specify the date/location of your interview, employer name and the nature of the emergency. Your request will be considered and a decision sent to you as quickly as possible.
Regional Job Fairs (Boston, Chicago, Dallas, Los Angeles, and DC):
- Students may review the results of the lottery for each event, and cancel their participation if the lottery results do not appear to make the trip worthwhile.
- Students who wish to cancel their participation in any regional job fairs may do so for any reason, provided they cancel by the deadline below by emailing Donna Dingy. Once the deadline has passed, cancellations will only be permitted for true emergencies, and the guidelines described above will apply.
You must cancel according to the following schedule:
||Must cancel before
|NYC Job Fair
|August 5-7, 2013
|Boston Job Fair
||August 12, 2013
|Washington, DC Job Fair
|August 30, 2013
2L students cannot cancel regional job fair interviews selectively under any circumstances; those who choose to attend are required to meet with all employers appearing on their schedules.
2Ls with Offers
- In the event that a 2L student receives and accepts (a) an offer of summer employment or (b) an offer of permanent employment prior to or during the fall recruiting season, that student must cancel all further participation in all fall recruiting events.
- Receiving (but not accepting) a summer or permanent employment offer does not provide a basis for cancellation of interviews beyond what is permitted by the above rules.
- 3L students who have received an offer of permanent employment from their second summer employer may cancel participation in all future fall recruiting events at any time.
- 3L students may cancel participation in one recruiting event while maintaining participation in another.
- When attending an event, the 3L student must meet with all employers appearing on the student's schedule. Selective cancellation for a single event is not permitted.
Once we run the lottery for a particular fall recruiting event, some employers will have open interview slots left on their schedules. Interested students are free to claim these slots, but MUST follow these guidelines/procedures:
- Once taken, open slot interviews cannot be canceled barring a true emergency. Before taking an open slot, give some thought to your schedule for the day. For example, if you receive five or six interviews on any given day through the lottery, don’t feel compelled to add any more unless the employer in question is one you really want to see. There is a lot to be said for having some “breathing room” built into your schedule.
- Open slots for the August Job Fair will be posted on Symplicity beginning on a date TBD. NOTE – open slots become available throughout the summer for a variety of reasons. Thus, the list of open slots posted on the 17th will be updated on a rolling basis throughout July and early August. Thus, you should check this list regularly.
- Beginning on a date TBD, students may claim ONE open slot per day of the August Job Fair. As noted above, open slots with different employers will become available on a rolling (and unpredictable) basis. So, be a bit selective. Understand that if you select an open slot, you cannot cancel it if another open slot that you would prefer becomes available later.
- Open slots must be taken through Symplicity. Requests will not be accepted in person, by phone or by email. Such request will be disregarded.
- Open slots will be awarded on a first come, first served basis, based upon who logs into Symplicity and takes it. No advance requests will be accepted. As soon as you take an open slot it will appear on your interview schedule.
- The open slot process for all other job fairs and OCIs will follow a similar pattern; details will be emailed to students over the summer.