Questions They May Ask You
- Why are you interviewing with us?
- What have you read about us?
- Why did you go to Law School?
- What are your greatest strengths? Weaknesses?
- Tell me about yourself.
- Where else are you interviewing?
- How do you work under pressure?
- What changes would you make in your law school curriculum?
- What accomplishments in your life have given you most satisfaction?
- Do you have a geographical preference?
- What do you see yourself doing in five years?
- How would you describe yourself?
- Tell us what you did last summer.
- Why didn't you get an offer from your employer last summer?
- What are your outside interests?
- What courses did you like best?
- Why should we hire you?
- How do you feel about research? Writing? Client contact?
- Are your grades a good indication of your academic achievement?
- Favorite books/movies/ hobbies?
- Do you have any questions?
Questions You Can Ask Them
When you are asked if you have any questions you have the perfect opportunity to get the information you need to evaluate whether you want to work for a particular employer.
Remember: do enough research before the interview to guarantee that you won't ask a question whose answer can easily be found on the employer's website or in other research resources.
- What kind of training program do you have?
- How is performance evaluated?
- Is there a formal mentoring program or do mentoring relationships occur informally?
- What might my first week or two of employment be like here?
- What are typical assignments for summer or new attorneys?
- Tell me about your practice. What do you do on a typical day? What did you do yesterday?
- What is the most interesting matter you are working on now?
- What is it that attracted you to this employer and/or what keeps you here?
- Where do you see the agency/firm/department in 5 years?
- In your mind, what makes this employer stand out from its competitors?
- Can you recommend anything I could do/read before the start of the summer to help prepare for the work that awaits me here?
- What do you know now that you wish you'd know when you were interviewing during law school?