Event Planning Guidelines--Program Events
Guidelines for "program" events involving in-house or outside speaker(s)--from one speaker to many.
- Meet with group and determine person(s), date, funding sources, etc.
- Check the Law School Web-based Calendar to avoid major conflicts--scroll down to the "calendar" portion of the Web Site.
- Receive topic approval from advisors and/or deans if appropriate
- To make a room reservation, click "here" for instructions.
- Fill out and submit to Linda (room 145) the "Student Activity Funding Request Form"
- All student event requests for the following month, must be in by the 15th of the previous month, i.e. Events for November must be submitted by October 15th (requirement waived for the month of September).
- Check List for Program Events---All Forms Here
Please Note:Under----"Specific Expenditures Ineligible for GPSAFC Funding":
"Honorariums, travel expenses, and accommodation for alumni whose last degree from Cornell University was received within the last 5 years. Exceptions may be granted with the inclusion of a letter of support from the organization's advisor" (taken from http://assembly.cornell.edu/GPSAFC/Guidelines?from=GPSAFC.FundingGuidelines#toc2).
- Contact Linda Majeroni or phone 255-6536 to put event in motion.
- Linda will make hotel reservations, contact caterers to make sure there are no major conflicts (these items can be canceled if necessary).
- Meet with Linda and go over all the particulars of the event.
- After meeting with Linda, prepare an actual hard-copy budget identifying income sources and expenses (pls note the Law School does not pay honoria, speakers fees, etc.).
- Sample Budget for Small Event--one or two speakers
- Sample Budget for Large Event--Symposium
- Please note, the Law School does not pay speaker fees/honorariums.
- Contact Dean Markeisha Miner to establish Law School support for speaker, symposium or other type special event.
- Seek & secure financial support from other University and external* sources.
- *Note: For external sources outside the University (i.e. donations/grants/foundations), please see Peter Cronin, Assoc. Dean External Relations, room 261, ph: 5-3373
- re-submit final proposed budget to Linda.
- Provide copies of confirmation letters from funding sources to Linda, who will follow up with them to make sure the funds are received.
- Once all funding sources are confirmed, submit names, phone numbers, e-mail address of guests to Linda to make travel arrangements.
- Continue to seek and secure financial support from outside sources.
- Follow up with Linda regarding restaurant and other similar arrangements that she will make.
- Students assess guests/participants for any special dietary needs and pass on to Linda who will work with caterers/restaurants to accommodate guests.
- Contact facilities department to finalize arrangements.
- Contact the A.V. Department if audo/visual services are needed via MRM when making room reservations.
- Performance Agreement Release Form---must be secured from ALL guests and turned in to the IT Department.
- Make assignments to group members for publicity, programs, posters, etc. To receive funds from sponsors, it is required that the sponsors be listed on all flyers, e-mails, posters, etc.
- To create posters/images use the links found on the front page of the Student Event web page.
- Continue to meet with Linda throughout the planning/arrangement process.
- Make assignments to group members to host each guest (i.e. airport pick up, transportation to and from hotel, restaurants, etc.).
- Make assignments to group members to pick up food, make coffee, etc. if necessary.
- Receive from Linda all the guests air travel itineraries--if arrangements were made through her.
- Receive from Linda a welcome packet for each guest
- Sit back and enjoy all your hard work--it will be a great success!