Employment and Internship Opportunities
Women and Justice Fellow
The Avon Global Center for Women & Justice at Cornell Law School is seeking applications for a six-month Women and Justice Fellowship. The position runs from February 2016 to July 2016.
The Center works with judges, legal practitioners, civil society advocates, and other stakeholders in an effort to end gender-based violence. The Center's initiatives focus on advancing access to justice and the international rule of law, with an emphasis on defending the human rights of women and girls. For more information, please visit the Avon Global Center for Women & Justice website at http://www.womenandjustice.org.
This fellowship offers varied experience in the areas of international human rights and gender justice, including legal research and project management. Cornell Law School provides an intellectually engaging work atmosphere, located in the beautiful Finger Lakes region of New York State.
- Assisting with planning and managing Center's annual Women & Justice Conference and other events;
- Researching and drafting memoranda in response to requests by judges for legal research assistance;
- Supervising law student research associates and undergraduate interns;
- Furthering the development of the Center's online legal resources collection, including research and analysis of case law from the US and other countries; and
- Acting as content editor and strategist for Center publicity, including website and social media networks.
- J.D. or LL.M.
- Strong research, writing, and editing skills
- Exceptional organizational skills and attention to detail
- Ability to manage a diverse range of projects and initiatives
- Demonstrates interest in international human rights, comparative law, and/or gender justice issues
- Experience with website, social media, and database management preferred
- At least two years of relevant professional work experience preferred
Remuneration: Salary and health benefits and access to university facilities.
Application deadline: Wednesday, November 25, 2015 . As applications will be considered on a rolling basis, early application is strongly encouraged.
To apply: Applicants should email a cover letter discussing their interest and qualifications, resume, law school transcript, writing sample (maximum length 10 pages), and contact information for three references to Christina Price, Program Assistant ( email@example.com).
Background check may be required. No relocation assistance is provided for this position.
Cornell University is an innovative Ivy League university and a great place to work. Our inclusive community of scholars, students and staff impart an uncommon sense of larger purpose and contribute creative ideas to further the university's mission of teaching, discovery and engagement. Located in Ithaca, NY, Cornell's far-flung global presence includes the medical college's campuses on the Upper East Side of Manhattan and Doha, Qatar, as well as the new Cornell Tech campus to be built on Roosevelt Island in the heart of New York City.
Diversity and inclusion have been and continue to be a part of Cornell University's heritage. We're an employer and educator recognized for valuing AA/EEO, Protected Veterans, and Individuals with Disabilities.
The Avon Global Center is looking for law students dedicated to gender justice and the elimination of violence against women to serve as Research Associates throughout the academic year. Most recently , the Center has embarked on an ambitious project to summarize progressive case law decided on the basis of national constitutions. We are seeking law student volunteers to help us identify and summarize the cases for our Women and Justice Collection, where they may be utilized by judges and gender-justice advocates worldwide to enhance access to justice for women and girls. While not a requirement, volunteers with Spanish or French language capabilities are particularly welcome. Time commitment: 1 case per week. If interested, please send your resume and language(s) spoken/written to firstname.lastname@example.org .
Please note that this is an unpaid position.