Recent Avon Global Center Events
- Domestic Violence Advocates Roundtable: On May 28, 2015, the Avon Global Center, together with Columbia Law School's Human Rights Institute, convened a small group of advocates that in different capacities have been involved in passing local resolutions recognizing freedom from domestic violence as a human right.
- Panel: Beyond 2015: Positive Steps and Potential Setbacks of the Post-2015 Sustainable Development Goals: On
April 23, 2015, the Avon Global Center, together with Cornell International
Affairs Society (CIAS) and Cornell International Affairs Forum, organized a panel
assessing the successes and remaining challenges of the Millennium Development
Goals (MDGs), and analyzing its foreseen successor.
- Documentary Screening: India's Daughter.On April 21, 2015, the Avon Global Center for Women and Justice, together with Cornell University's South Asian Council, Panhellenic Association, Interfraternity Council, Multicultural Greek Letter Council, and Women in Public Policy, screened India's Daughter followed by a discussion.
- Speaker: Advancing Access to Justice for Women and Children in Ghana. On April 20, 2015, the Avon Global Center for Women and Justice and the Berger International Legal Studies Program hosted Chief Justice Wood of the Republic of Ghana to discuss advancing access to justice for women and children in Ghana.
- CSW Side-Event: Ensuring that Courts Do Not Re-Victimize: Making Beijing's Commitments a Reality. On March 9, 2015, the Avon Global Center for Women and Justice and the International Association for Women Judges organized a parallel event during the 59th session of the UN Commission on the Status of Women.
- Panel: Sexual Assault in the United States Military: How Far Have We Come? On February 19, 2015, the Avon Global Center for Women and Justice, together with the New York Bar Association, Protect Our Defenders, and the ACLU, organized a panel discussion on military sexual assault.
- Documentary Screening: Saving Face. On February 5, 2015, the Avon Global Center for Women and Justice screened the Academy Award-winning documentary, "Saving Face," on acid violence in Pakistan which was followed by a debriefing on the topic by Cornell Professor Sital Kalantry.
- Speaker: Sex Workers at Risk-Criminalization of Condoms. On November 20, 2014, the Avon Global Center for Women and Justice, the Global Gender Justice Clinic and the LGBT Clinic hosted Megan McLemore, Senior Researcher at the Health and Human Rights Division with Human Rights Watch for a talk on human rights advocacy against criminalization of condoms.
- Panel: Access to Justice for Juveniles in Zambia. On November 3, 2014, the Avon Global Center organized a panel discussion discussing panelists' work in developing the first-ever practice guide on Zambian juvenile law.
- Panel: Recognizing Freedom from Domestic Violence a Human Right in Tompkins County, NY. On October 22, 2014, the Avon Global Center organized a panel discussion highlighting a Global Gender Justice Clinic project advocating for the adoption of a local resolution to recognize freedom from domestic violence a human right.
- Documentary Screening: Telling Amy's Story. On October 21, 2014, the Avon Global Center screened the documentary on domestic violence in the US, "Telling Amy's Story," followed by a debriefing by the Advocacy Center of Tompkins County.
- Speaker: Women's Rights as Human Rights in the United States. On October 9, 2014, the Avon Global Center for Women and Justice hosted Sandra Park, Senior Staff Attorney for the ACLU's Women's Rights Project for a talk on "20 Years After Beijing-Women's Rights as Human Rights in the United States."
- Meeting: US State Department Visitors from the Middle East and North Africa: On September 16, 2014 the Avon Global Center hosted visitors from Egypt, Jordan, Mauritania, Morocco, Syria, Tunisia and Yemen as part of the US State Department's International Visitor Leadership Program.
- Speaker: Education for Women and Girls is the Key to Liberation. On September 11, 2014 the Avon Global Center hosted Dr. Tashi Zangmo, Executive Director and Founder of the Bhutan Nuns Foundations (BNF) for a talk on education as empowerment.
- Meeting: US State Department Visitors from West Africa. On June 3, 2014 the Avon Global Center hosted visitors from Angola, Cape Verde, Guinea-Bissau, and Sao Tome and Principe as part of the US State Department's International Visitor Leadership Program.
- Teleconference: Combating Violence Against Women - What's Working. On May 29, 2014 the Avon Global Center's Executive Director Elizabeth Brundige moderated an event for the American Bar Association on best practices throughout the world for combating violence against women. Listen to a recording of the event here.
- Meeting: U.S. Secretary of State International Women of Courage Award Winner Visits Avon Global Center. On March 10, 2014 the Avon Global Center hosted Beatrice Mtetwa, Zimbabwean human rights lawyer and activist.
- Panel: Violence Against Native Women: Resistance and Responses. On March 12, 2014 the Avon Global Center co-sponsored an event on violence against native women and the effects of recent changes in US law.
- Panel: Careers in Law. On February 20, 2014, the Carl Becker House at Cornell University and Avon Global Center organized an event for undergraduate students on legal careers.
- Panel and Screening: The Invisible War. On November 13, 2013, the Avon Global Center screened the documentary on sexual violence in the US Military, "The Invisible War", followed by a panel discussion.
- Panel: Sexual Violence in South Africa's Schools. On October 28, 2013, the Avon Global Center hosted a discussion on sexual violence in South Africa schools and gaps in accountability in advance of the Center's upcoming report on the issue.
- Panel: Disability and Gender in Ethiopia. On October 24, 2013, the Avon Global Center hosted Wesenyelesh Admasu of the Ethiopian Women with Disabilities National Association and Meseret Mamo Kombolcha of the Ethiopian Human Rights Commission.
- Speaker: Child Marriage in Bangladesh. On September 30, 2013, the Avon Global Center and Berger Center for International Legal Studies hosted Justice Imman Ali from the Supreme Court of Bangladesh.
- Speaker: Sheltering Survivors of Human Trafficking: Lessons from the Israeli Experience. On September 24, 2013, the Avon Global Center and Dorthea S. Clarke Program in Feminist Jurisprudence hosted Daphna Hacker from Tel Aviv Law School.
- Panel: Causes, Conditions and Consequences of Women's Imprisonment. On May 14, 2013, the Avon Global Center co-hosted a panel discussion in Chicago on the causes, conditions and consequences of women's imprisonment globally, at which the Center's report on women in prison in Argentina was launched.
- Conference: 2013 Conable Conference in International Studies. On April 6, 2013, the Avon Global Center co-sponsored the 2013 Conable Conference in cooperation with the Rochester Institute of Technology.
- Panel: Custodial Violence Against Women. On March 13, 2013, Avon Global Center Executive Director, Elizabeth Brundige, participated in a panel convened by Rashida Manjoo, Special Rapporteur on Violence Against Women, during the 57th Annual United Nations Commission on the Status of Women.
- Panel: Sexual Violence Against Girls in Southern Africa. On March 4, 2013, the Avon Global Center hosted an NGO parallel event to the 57th Annual United Nations Commission on the Status of Women.
Click here to view past Avon Global Center events.