- European Convention for the Protection of Human Rights and Fundamental Freedoms, 1950 Protects human rights, including the rights to marry and to equality.
- Charter of Fundamental Rights of the European Union, 2000 Proclaims and reaffirms fundamental rights, including the right to equality.
- Council of Europe Convention on Preventing and Combating Violence against Women and Domestic Violence (CETS n° 210) opened for signature May 11, 2011 (not yet in force). Creates a comprehensive legal framework to protect women against all forms of violence and to prevent and prosecute violence against women, and establishes an international mechanism to monitor implementation by States parties.
Communications, Decisions, and Directives:
- Communication from the Commission to the Council, the European Parliament, the European Economic and Social Committee and the Committee of the regions 2006-2010 A roadmap for equality between women and men.
- Decision No. 1554/2005/EC of the European Parliament and of the Council of 7 September 2005 amending Council Decision 2001/51/EC establishing a programme relating to the Community framework strategy on gender equality & Decision No. 848/2004/EC Establishes a Community action programme to promote organisations active at European level in the field of equality between men and women.
- Decision No. 1672/2006/EC of the European Parliament and of the Council of 24 October 2006 establishing a Community Programme for Employment and Social Solidarity - Progress.
- Regulation (EC) No 1922/2006 of the European Parliament and of the Council of 20 December 2006 Establishes a European Institute for Gender Equality.
- Commission Decision of 16 June 2008 relating to the setting up of an Advisory Committee on Equal Opportunities for Women and Men Promotes gender equality.
- Commission Decision of 19 June 2000 relating to gender balance within the committees and expert groups established by it Promotes gender equality.
- Council Directive 2004/113/EC of 13 December 2004 implementing the principle of equal treatment between men and women in the access to and supply of goods and services Promotes non-discrimination.
- Council Directive 97/80/EC of 15 December 1997 on the burden of proof in cases of discrimination based on sex Promotes non-discrimination.
- Communication from the Commission to the European Parliament, the Council, the European Economic and Social Committee and the Committee of the Regions: Tackling the pay gap between women and men Promotes workplace non-discrimination.
- Directive 2006/54/EC of the European Parliament and of the Council of 5 July 2006 on the implementation of the principle of equal opportunities and equal treatment of men and women in matters of employment and occupation (recast). Promotes equality and non-discrimination in employment.
- Council Directive 75/117/EEC of 10 February 1975 on the approximation of the laws of the Member States relating to the application of the principle of equal pay for men and women Promotes workplace non-discrimination.
- Communication from the Commission to the European Parliament, the Council, the European Economic and Social Committee and the Committee of the Regions Promotes a better work-life balance: stronger support for reconciling professional, private and family life.
- Council Directive 92/85/EEC of 19 October 1992 Encourages improvements in the safety and health at work of pregnant workers and workers who have recently given birth or are breastfeeding.
- Council Directive 79/7/EEC of 19 December 1978 Promotes progressive implementation of the principle of equal treatment for men and women in matters of social security.
- Decision No. 293/2000/EC of the European Parliament and of the Council of 24 January 2000 adopting a programme of Community action (the Daphne programme) (2000 to 2003) Establishes preventive measures to fight violence against children, young persons and women.
- Decision No. 803/2004/EC of the European Parliament and of the Council of 21 April 2004 adopting a programme of Community action (2004 to 2008) (Daphne II programme) Prevents and combats violence against children, young people and women and to protect victims and groups at risk.
- Decision No. 779/2007/EC of the European Parliament and of the Council of 20 June 2007 Establishes for the period 2007-2013 a specific programme to prevent and combat violence against children, young people and women and to protect victims and groups at risk as part of the General Programme 'Fundamental Rights and Justice' (Daphne III programme).
- Council Directive 76/207/EEC of 9 February 1976 Implements the principle of equal treatment for men and women as regards access to employment, vocational training and promotion, and working conditions.
- Council Decision of 24 July 2006 Concludes, on behalf of the European Community, the Protocol to Prevent, Suppress and Punish Trafficking in Persons, Especially Women and Children, supplementing the United Nations Convention against Transnational Organised Crime concerning the provisions of the Protocol, in so far as the provisions of this Protocol fall within the scope of Articles 179 and 181a of the Treaty establishing the European Community.
- Communication from the Commission to the European Parliament and the Council Fighting trafficking in human beings - an integrated approach and proposals for an action plan.
- Communication from the Commission to the Council and the European Parliament Combating trafficking in human beings and combating the sexual exploitation of children and child pornography.