Women and Global Justice Speaker Series
The Women and Global Justice Speaker Series is organized by the Avon Global Center for Women and Justice and sponsored by the Dorothea S. Clarke Program in Feminist Jurisprudence. There is no cost to attend these events, but reservations are required. Lunch will be served. Please email us to reserve a seat.
SPRING 2010 EVENTS
- Advocating for Victims of Acid Attacks through Public Interest Litigation in the State of Karnataka, India. Sheela Ramanathan (Director, Human Rights Law Network, Bangalore Unit). April 27, 2010. Watch video.
- The Ithaca Premiere of STORM. Willard Straight Theatre. April 7, 12 & 13, 2010.
- Responding to Atrocity with International Tribunals: The Case of the ICTY. Professor Jens D. Ohlin (Assistant Professor of Law, Cornell Law School). April 13, 2010.
- Impressive Progress Alongside Persistent Problems: Promoting Gender Fairness in U.S. Courts. Lynn Hecht Schafran (Director, National Judicial Education Program and Senior Vice-President, Legal Momentum Judicial Education Program). April 8, 2010. Watch video. Listen to audio.
- Protecting Human Rights and Improving Access to Justice in Ghana. Chief Justice Georgina Wood (Supreme Court, Ghana). April 1, 2010. Watch video.
- Barriers to Justice Faced by Domestic Violence Survivors as Criminal Defendants. Tamar Kraft-Stolar (Director, Women in Prison Project at the Correctional Association of New York), Jesenia A. Santana (Legal Services Coordinator, STEPS to End Family Violence). February 24, 2010. Read the news story. Watch video. Listen to audio.
FALL 2009 EVENTS
- An International Challenge: Protecting Victims' Rights in Human Trafficking and Sexual Exploitation Cases. Hon. Virginia M. Kendall (United States District Court for the Northern District of Illinois). November 10, 2009.
- Pray the Devil Back to Hell: A Film Screening. With Special Guest, Liberian journalist Janet Johnson Bryant. October 29, 2009.
- Gender-Based Crimes and the International Criminal Court. Tracey Gurd, Legal Officer, Open Society Justice Initiative. October 22, 2009.
- Investigating Gender-Based Crimes and Promoting the Rule of Law in Southern Sudan. Ralph Mamiya ('06), Judicial Adviser, UN Mission in Sudan. September 17, 2009.