the Curia Society History In the decade beginning in 1930, in response to discrimination against Jewish Cornell Law students by legal fraternities that excluded them, they formed an unrestricted club. They named it “Curia” in order to implement Myron Taylor’s belief that law should serve a wide range of social needs. Curia continued at the Law School until World War II forced the organization to disband, never to return to the student body. However, Curia had a rebirth in the form of an amorphous, informal group of alumni in the New York Metropolitan area. The born-again Curia Society functioned principally to hold an annual dinner to hear a worthy speaker, renew camaraderie and share memories of the law school.
The custom of holding annual dinners has continued unbroken to this day. At these dinners a distinguished speaker addresses the audience on a topic of contemporary interest; and the attendees use the occasion to renew friendships from law school and to network among law alumni. The list of guest speakers is long and illustrious. It includes most of the Law School Deans, many faculty and other noteworthy public figures.
In addition to the annual dinner, Curia Society members have provided leadership and guidance to the Law School as officers of the Cornell Law Association, as members of the Law School Advisory Council, and as generous benefactors. Participation in the Curia Society is open to all alumni of Cornell Law School.