1L Job Search
Cornell, like nearly every other law school in the country, is a member of NALP, which promulgates standards governing various aspects of the recruiting process.
Part IV of NALP’s “Principles and Standards for Law Placement and Recruiting Activities” outlines the time line to which law schools and member employers should adhere regarding advising and hiring 1L students. The Career Services Office adheres to the applicable sections of the guidelines listed below.
Summer Employment Provisions for First Year Students:
- Law schools should not offer career services to first-semester first year law students prior to November 1 except in the case of part-time students who may be given assistance in seeking positions during the school term.
- Prospective employers and first year law students should not initiate contact with one another and employers should not interview or make offers to first year students before December 1.
- All offers to first year students for summer employment should remain open for at least two weeks after the date made.
Getting Started on Your 1L Summer Job Search:
- Review our FAQ to get ideas of what kind of work 1Ls do, and when to start searching.
- Students interested in staying in Ithaca can find local law-related employers.