Samuel DahanAdjunct Professor of Law
Samuel Dahan is a professor at the Queen’s Law Faculty, and cross-appointed to Cornell Law and Harvard Law. He is Director of the Conflict Analytics Lab, a global consortium on AI and dispute resolution, and founded MyOpenCourt, an AI-powered legal aid system. Dahan is a member of the Dispute Resolution Advisory Board of EU Intellectual Property Board of Appeal (EUIPO).
Dahan was a Cabinet Member at the Court of Justice of the European Union. During the financial crisis of 2008-2009, he served as an advisor to the EU-IMF financial rescue program in Latvia.
Dahan holds a doctorate from the University of Cambridge and has studied law and dispute resolution at Harvard Law School; the Ecole Normale Supérieure (ENS-Ulm); the Sorbonne; Leuven University in Belgium; and the University of Nice. He was a bronze medalist at the French and UK championships in kickboxing and Taekwondo.Achievements
• Founded the Conflict Analytics Lab, a research consortium for conflict resolution and Artificial Intelligence (2018)
• Appointed to the European Union Intellectual Property Office (2019)
• Commissioned to deliver a feasibility study on trademark dispute technologies for the European Union Intellectual Property Office (EUIPO) (2020)
• Recipient of more than $300,000 in grant money as Principal Investigator, including SSHRC New Frontiers Grant (2019–2021)
• Conflict Analytics Lab was co-recipient of the INFORMS Prize (as a founding member of the Smith Ecosystem) (2020)
• Developed AI legal aid platform with dispute resolution algorithm, www.MyOpenCourt.org (2020)
• Continuing cross-appointment at Cornell Law, Smith School of Business, Program on Negotiation at Harvard Law School, and Ingenuity Lab
• EU Courts and Data Science: The Case of Trademark Likelihood of Confusion in Pereisin, Capeta (Hart Publishing, forthcoming 2020)
• AI-Powered Trademark Dispute Resolution. Expert’s Opinion commissioned by the European Union Intellectual Property Office (EUIPO forthcoming 2021)
• Employment Notice with Machine Learning: Promises and Limitations. McGill Law Journal (2020)
• Conflict Analytics: When Data Science Meets Dispute Resolution Management Business Review (2020)
• Country Study: Canada Mediation: Regulations, Trends & Practices. Lexis Nexis (2020)
• The Gap Between Deep Learning and Law: Predicting Employment Notice. International Conference on Machine Learning (ICML 2020)
• Predicting Employment Notice with Deep Learning. Natural Legal Language Processing (2020)
• Determining Worker Type from Legal Text Data Using Machine Learning. Pervasive Intelligence and Computing (IEEE PICom 2020)
• "Redesigning Institutions for EMU Wage Policy Coordination". European Labour Law Journal (2018)
• "The Legal and Institutional Causes of the Global Financial Crisis and Euro Crisis: Explaining the Economic Crisis from an Institutionalist Approach". 48 Cornell International Law Journal 1 (2016)
• "Whatever It Takes? Regarding the OMT Ruling of the German Federal Constitutional Court". Journal of International Economic Law (Oxford University Press, 2015)
• "Comparative Legal Methodology of the Conseil d’Etat: Towards an Innovative Judicial Process?". Comparative Law Before the Courts, Eds. Mads Andenas and Duncan Fairgrieve (Oxford University Press, 2015), Chap. 14.
• "L’Influence Grandissante du Droit comparé au Conseil d’Etat: vers une Procédure Juridictionnelle Innovante?". Revue française de droit administrative (Dalloz, 2015)
• "The New Economic Governance Legal Framework and its Impact on Wage Policy Learning". Cambridge Yearbook of European Legal Studies, Volume 16 (Hart Publishing, 2014).
• "Whatever It Takes? A Propos de la Décision OMT de la Cour Constitutionnelle Fédérale Allemande". Actualité Juridique. Droit Administratif (Dalloz, 2014)
• "L’Encadrement Juridique de la Situation des Couples de Personnes de Même Sexe Face au Principe d’Egalité en Common Law". Recueil Dalloz, Actualité du Droit Comparé (Dalloz, 2014)
• "The EU/IMF Financial Stabilization Process in Latvia and its Implications for Labour Law and Social Policy". Industrial Law Journal, 41 (3): 305-327 (Oxford University Press, 2012).
• "Libertés Fondamentales et Numériques aux Etats-Unis". Rapport Annuel du Conseil d’Etat, 2014
• "Conseil d’Etat – Jurisprudence Etrangère". Revue Internationale de Droit Comparé, 65ème année, Société de Législation Comparée, N°4 octobre-décembre 2013
• "Conceptualising the EU/IMF Financial Assistance Process". In EU Balance-of-Payments Assistance for Latvia: Foundations of Success. European Commission, DG Economic and Financial Affairs. Occasional Papers. 120. Brussels, November 2012