Alumni Short

Useful Information

Check on necessary immunizations

Countries may require proof of certain immunizations, or health status before permitting entry. The Travel Clinic at Cornell Health can provide information about these requirements and can administer needed immunizations.

Health Insurance

Cornell students who are enrolled in medical insurance coverage through the Cornell University Student Health Insurance Plan (SHIP) are also covered while traveling internationally. This also includes coverage in the Schengen Countries, and provides coverage for medical, hospitalization, emergencies, and medical evacuation and repatriation services, subject to all applicable plan limitations and exclusions. The plan has an unlimited benefit maximum for the 2016-2017 plan year. Plan members may use foreign medical facilities. The medical facility may seek reimbursement from Aetna for eligible expenses covered under the plan. Reimbursement for eligible expenses is in U.S. dollars and based on the exchange rate on the date of service. To obtain a Foreign Travel Insurance Coverage letter, students will need to contact the Cornell Student Benefits Office.

Update health information

Update your health information and bring a complete list of allergies and/or special health conditions with you when you travel.  Fill prescriptions before traveling to help prevent unnecessary medical emergencies abroad.

Cost of living

Even though CLS tuition will remain the same, students should consider the living costs in the host country to accurately plan expenses. Please see each host institution’s page for more information.

Assess banking needs

Check whether your bank or credit union offers special services to accommodate banking needs while you are out of the country. Obtain information about exchange rates for American dollars and purchase travelers' checks, if advisable.

Purchase airline tickets

Early planning and purchase of airline tickets and early rental reservations, can reduce costs and help ensure you arrive as intended for your program.


Housing can be difficult to find in some instances. Although the host institution can usually provide limited assistance, it is your responsibility to secure housing. We urge you to talk with returning students and students from the host institution to determine whether you should take special measures in locating suitable housing.

Make a list of emergency contacts

Keep your list of emergency contacts on your person while abroad and provide a copy to both a person in U.S. and to your host institution. Locate a List of English-Speaking Doctors Abroad Identify a list of English-speaking doctors in your host area prior to travel. This information is available from the directory for the International Association for Medical Assistance to Travelers at

Make photocopies of important documents

Extra copies of your passport, visa, other forms of identification, and important phone numbers and email addresses can be very helpful in emergencies.

Learn about the electrical voltage system for your host country

The electrical voltage system will determine whether adapters are needed for small electrical appliances.   

Have a wonderful trip!