Alumni Short

Passports, Visas, and Residence Permits

All students going abroad must have a valid passport and visa to enter the host country. Cornell is not responsible for obtaining the student's visa. Obtaining these documents is entirely the student's responsibility, and the student should allow at least two months for processing. Please also take time to review the appropriate consulate's website so as to be informed of the specific country's requirements.  You will usually need to include in your application a letter from your host institution. If you have any questions or encounter any difficulties in seeking a student visa, please let us know as early as possible in the process.

The university has created, Navigate, a website resource that contains information to help with the operational complexities of off-campus engagement. Please use this resource to help plan your activities outside the United States. Log-in using your Cornell Net ID.  In addition, to aid in obtaining your passport and/or student visa for travel outside the United States Cornell, has engaged Travel Document Systems.

Country-by-Country Resource Guide: US Department of State Travel Advisories

Students should also be aware of any travel warnings or advisories published by the US State Department. Such information can be found on a country-by-country basis.