If you have not already done so, go to the Career pages and go over basic resume-writing techniques.
Once you have a basic resume drafted, here are ways that you may refine your resume for public-sector employers:
- Page Length: Resumes may exceed one page to included relevant experience, awards, volunteer activities, and interests.
- Resume Variations: Consider drafting different versions of your resume to emphasize particular skills and experiences relevant to different employers. Consider grouping all of your public sector experience together.
- Education Section: Expand on relevant college and law school activities.
- Experience Section: Remember to include Law School Clinics and Externships in this section.
- Volunteer Experience: Public Sector employers value community involvement. Include relevant volunteer activities.
- Interest Section: If possible, choose interests strategically to demonstrate interest in employer's work.
- Languages Section: Emphasize language skills relevant to employer's client population.
- For Graduates: List your experience section before your education section. Include bar memberships in a section called "Professional Affiliations".