Visiting and Living
What is Ithaca like?Over the years, Ithaca has received numerous accolades. Most recently, Ithaca was named one of Kiplinger’s top ten smart towns. Ithaca has also been heralded as the "most enlightened city" by the national magazine Utne Reader. In many ways, Ithaca is the quintessential "college town" because when both Cornell University and Ithaca College are in session, there are 25,000 students in Ithaca which has a population of approximately 30,000 non-student residents.
Ithaca is a student-focused community where many businesses and services cater to the student market. Other national magazines have described the City of Ithaca in the following issues:
- "AIER College Destinations Index 2016" American Institute for Economic Research, January 2016
- "12 Reasons Why Ithaca, New York Is The Best College Town In America" Business Insider, November 27, 2013
- "Homecomings Amid the Gorges" New York Times, November 13, 2008
- "America's 5 Best Mountain Biking Towns," Bike Magazine
- "60 Best American Public Places," Utne Reader
- "American Values-Where to Buy a Retirement Home," Smart Money Magazine
- "Best Places to Vacation," Money Magazine
- "25 Terrific Places to Bring up a Family," Mothering Magazine
- "Number 1 Emerging City," Cities Ranked and Rated by Bert Sperling and Peter Sander
- "America's 2nd Most Eco-Friendly Metropolitan Area," Country Home Magazine
- "Top Ten Places to Live for Gay and Lesbian People," The Advocate Magazine
For more information about Ithaca, visit the following websites:
What is the weather really like?Ithaca enjoys a a colorful spring, a summer of sun and warm weather, and a crisp fall with vibrant foliage. However, the most picturesque season in Ithaca is winter. Most law students live close to campus, so making it to class rarely becomes an issue.
VISITINGWhen can I visit Cornell Law?
You are welcome to visit when it is convenient for you, but we encourage you to visit while classes are in session and when one of our student ambassadors is available. Access our tour portal and provide us with the information we will need to help you plan your visit. We also have a self-guided tour of the Law School if visiting during the academic year is not possible. These brochures are located in the Admissions and Financial Aid Office.
ARE UNIVERSITY CAMPUS TOURS OFFERED?Guided walking tours of campus are offered throughout the year.
- Tours begin at the Information and Referral Center in the lobby of Day Hall. No appointment is required.
- Tours are mostly outdoors, and last about one hour.
- Tours include information about Cornell’s undergraduate, graduate, and professional schools and colleges. Visit this link for additional information: Read more.
What are your office hours?Monday through Thursday, 8:00am-4:30pm
(The Admissions and Financial Aid Office closes from noon-1:00pm each day for lunch)
What extracurricular activities are offered at Cornell Law?There is a plethora of student organizations at Cornell Law. Please follow the link for more information.
Do many Cornell Law Students come straight from their undergraduate institutions?Approximately 68 percent of the first-year class spent one or more years off before enrolling in Law School.
What was the Average age of the 1L class?The age of our incoming students this year ranged from 20 to 33 years old, with the average age being about 26 years old.
What resources are available to find housing in Ithaca?Campus Life at Cornell University maintains information about all on campus housing. The following are helpful links about housing in Ithaca:
- Cornell Graduate & Professional Student Housing
- Student housing offers a wide range of options, including numerous complexes where families are more than welcome.
- Off-campus housing accommodates the majority of our Law School students. For more information on off-campus listings of apartments and houses for rent in the Ithaca area, please visit Cornell's website on off-campus living here.
Other helpful links to find housing in Ithaca are listed below:
- Links for area apartment complexes, and other housing options are listed below.
Can I obtain a parking space?Parking permits are available for purchase on a space-available basis. Please visit the transportation office for the price, location and other important details, or see here.