Cornell Law School Honors Staff at 2016 Community BBQ and Service Award Ceremony
Ithaca, NEW YORK, Jun 24, 2016
To imagine Cornell Law School without its staff would be like to envision a scene from the Twilight Zone.
On June 8 at this year's Annual Law School Community BBQ and Service Award Ceremony, Eduardo Peñalver, the Allen R. Tessler Dean and Professor of Law, started off his remarks by describing some problematic possibilities that might occur in the school without its staff.
"You'd have to dodge falling masonry because the facilities staff would not be around to keep our beloved castle in pristine shape," Peñalver said. "There wouldn't be many students because the Admissions staff would not have recruited them and they wouldn't be able to register for any courses anyways without help from our Registrar's staff."
However, opposite from the dismal circumstances that Eduardo described, members of the Law School community were gathered to celebrate the accomplishments of its staff.
"We will be honoring staff from all departments today. And I can say with great confidence that Cornell Law School would be a grim place without the tireless efforts and contributions of our staff." Eduardo said.
Before presenting awards to fourteen staff members for their five or more years of service Eduardo first took a moment to recognize two long-serving members of the school's staff: Rich Robinson, associate dean for administration and finance, who is retiring after thirty-three years of service, and Rosemary Lacey, assistant to the associate dean of students and vice dean, who is retiring after twenty-eight years of service.
At the close of the ceremony Peñalver stated, "We'd have no chance of accomplishing our mission of educating the next generation of superb Cornell lawyers and producing the world's finest legal scholarship without you. I am deeply grateful to each of you for everything that you do to make this the best Law School in the nation."
2016 Staff Honorees
- Clay Jackson - Major Gifts Officer, 5 years
- Jacqueline Magagnosc - Continuations Management Librarian, Law Library, 5 years
- Sharon Gillespie - Administrative Assistant, Clinical Programs, 10 years
- Tracy Bates - Helpdesk Coordinator and IT Support Specialist, 10 years
- Peter Cronin - Associate Dean, Alumni Affairs & Development, 10 years
- John Niederbuhl - Project Manager, CeRI and Judicial Clerkships, 10 years
- Susan Tosto - Administrative Director, Clinic Administrator, Legal Aid Clinic, 10 years
- John DeRosa - Associate Dean for Career Services and Employer Relations, 15 years
- Jane Drumheller - Public Services Assistant, Law Library, 15 years
- Liz Flint - Director of Human Resources, 15 years
- Michael Pado - Facilities Manager, 25 years
- Diane Cross - Director of Finance & Budget, 30 years
- Christiane O'Hara - Administrative Assistant, Library, 35 years
- Sue Pado - Administrative Assistant, Student Law Journals, 35 years